Estimate Your Pumpkins WeightLearn how to use the OTT Method
Giant Pumpkin Weight Estimation – How To:
- Take the three measurements outlined below
- Add them together to get a total figure
- Find it or the closest to it in the charts to find your estimate
Note: There are both metric and imperial charts, I’ve included both as well as the latest 2017 giant pumpkin weight estimation charts and the older 2013 versions. All of them are in PDF, click the buttons below each chart to enlarge them.2013 Giant Pumpkin Weight Estimation Chart – Pounds
2013 Giant Pumpkin Weight Estimation Chart – Kilos
2017 Giant Pumpkin Weight Estimation Chart Pounds
2017 Giant Pumpkin Weight Estimation Chart Kilos
- These measurements are only for the Atlantic Giant variety of pumpkin.
- These weight estimation charts are intended as a rough guide only, with many variables including soil, pumpkin growth, fertiliser etc it is hard to have totally accurate data. This is the best method for estimating a pumpkin’s weight, but will not replace actually weighing your pumpkin on a proper set of calibrated scales.
The three measurements you need are:
1. Circumference – Measure the circumference of the fruit parallel to the ground at stem height.
2. End to end – Place your tape measure on the ground at the stem end, and at the blossom end. Measure the distance from ground to ground.
3. Perpendicular – Placing the tape perpendicular to the plant stem at the widest point of the pumpkin. Place it on the ground on both sides, and measure this distance.
If you don’t have a flexible measuring tape, use a piece of string and hold this up to a regular tape measure to get the length.